Sunday, November 15, 2009

Portabella Risotto

Just before my birthday, (I know--this post has been a long time coming) Ian and I went to West of Paris in Moscow, ID. For my appetizer, I had the seasonal special: portabella risotto. It was so delicious, I decided to try to recreate it at home. This isn't exactly like what we had at the restaurant, but it's pretty darn good.

Ingredients:
2 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp butter
1/2 yellow onion, finely diced
2 portabella mushrooms, finely diced
3 crimini (baby bella) mushrooms, finely diced
1 tbsp dried thyme
1 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp freshly ground pepper
2 1/2 cups medium grain rice (arborio if at all possible)
4 cans vegetable stock

Procedure:
Heat oil and butter in a large, deep skillet over medium to medium-high heat. Saute the onion until translucent, then add mushrooms, thyme, salt, and pepper. Saute about 3 minutes more. Add rice; saute until the rice begins to smell nutty, about 2-3 minutes. Add vegetable stock about one can at a time, stirring regularly after each addition until the can of stock is completely absorbed into the rice before adding the next can. Serves 4-6

No comments:

Post a Comment